How to Appeal to the Crown Court against conviction and / or sentence from the Magistrates’ Court for a motoring offence | My Licence Protection

Hi! I am Tom Cruz (not the actor!), how can I help you?


How to Appeal to the Crown Court against conviction and / or sentence from the Magistrates’ Court for a motoring offence

Right of Appeal

All Defendants have an automatic right of appeal to the Crown Court, if they pleaded ‘Not Guilty’ against conviction and / or sentence, and if they pleaded ‘Guilty’ against sentence only.  There is a time limit of 21 days from the date of sentence within which to appeal (although very often the Crown Court will retrospectively extend the time if asked).  In order to appeal the appellant simply has to complete a notice of appeal and supply it to the relevant parties.  If an appellant knows he is going to appeal straightaway he can complete and submit a notice of appeal on the occasion of his sentencing in the Magistrates’ Court and hand a copy to the court and to the Crown.  Otherwise, the form can be obtained online (here:


Suspension of Disqualification pending the hearing of your Appeal

Often an appellant who has been sentenced in the Magistrates’ Court will want any disqualification imposed to be suspended pending the appeal.  Fortunately, one can apply to either the Magistrates’ Court, which imposed the sentence, and / or the Crown Court, which is to hear the appeal, to have any ban lifted pending appeal.  If you wish to make such an application you should specifically state upon the appeal form that you are also appealing against the order of disqualification and that you wish to apply to have your ban lifted pending appeal.  A good time to make such an application is immediately upon sentencing (assuming you know that you are going to appeal and that you submit an appeal application straightaway).


Procedure upon Appeal

An appeal is by way of a re-hearing.  Appeals are usually heard by a Crown Court judge and two magistrates (not a jury).  If it is an appeal against conviction the court will hear the case anew from start to finish with evidence being called by both parties.  The appellant can call new witnesses not previously relied upon or the same witnesses as he or she chooses.  If the appeal is against sentence only the court will hear the facts from the Crown before hearing on behalf of the Appellant.

If you appeal the Prosecution may well instruct a barrister to deal with the hearing.   The Appellant can expect to be cross-examined by him or her if appealing against conviction, arguing special reasons, or, if trying to avoid a ban by establishing ‘exceptional hardship’.  If you were to lose your appeal the Prosecution would be entitled to ask you to pay their costs – which could be far higher than those in the lower court. If you represented yourself at the Magistrates’ Court, or you were not satisfied by the representation that you received, you may wish to consider instructing an expert in this type of case.  Don’t forget that if your appeal is successful an application can be made for a Defendant’s costs order (for costs to be assessed and paid out of central funds).

Sunil Rupasinha

Sunil Rupasinha


Sunil practised from Chambers in London for 25 years.  As a junior barrister he would regularly appear on behalf of members of the AA who were being prosecuted for driving offences.  Saving driving licences (and consequently careers and livelihoods) became second nature to him.  Since then he has appeared in criminal cases from common assault to murder (and everything in between).  He has prosecuted and defended in the full range of trial courts from the humble Magistrates’ Courts to the Old Bailey itself.   In fact, he was quickly promoted to list ‘A’ counsel on the Attorney General’s list of advocates (reserved for only the best barristers on the list).  He has now decided to use his considerable experience for the benefit of the motorist by setting up a boutique, road traffic defence practice, Kent Traffic Law.

Specialising in a range of motoring offences in the UK

If you have you been charged with a motoring offence or you need to save your Driving Licence, Kent Traffic Law can help!

How can Traffic Law help you?

Call now for a telephone review 

(at no cost to you)